Thursday, May 18, 2017

Throwback Thursday - Weekend Vacation Trip to the Cape the Summer of 1968

My best friend in high school, Cheryl Walker, and her parents used to spend summer vacations at the Cape.  In the summer of 1968 they invited Cheryl's boyfriend, Nicky, along with me and Paul to visit them.  We had all just graduated from high school.

This is a picture of what I put about that trip in my scrapbook back then.





These are the instructions for getting there that Cheryl wrote for us:





I'm so glad I have these scrapbooks (3) starting in junior high, but I wish I had words to go along with the pictures and "stuff".  I guess back then I thought I would always remember what happened.

What I do remember about that trip is getting there at night, spending some time together and then Cheryl's parents shuffling us off to different parts of the house to sleep, lol!

The next day we took a trip to Provincetown.  I had never been to the Cape and I loved every minute of it!  We went for a sail on the Schooner Hindu.  I had never been on a sailboat before; everything was all so new to me.

Afterwards, we looked in all the little shops in Provincetown, and Paul bought me these little shell people.



I think there were a few more, but these are the ones that have survived.


These are a few pictures that I found on the Internet of the Hindu.  Actually, it still sails out of Provincetown!









From http://www.sailschoonerhindu.com

"One of the oldest, most historic wooden schooners in the Florida Keys, sailing out of Provincetown, Massachusetts since 1946.  Built in 1925, Hindu is 90 years young and sails as good as she looks.  The crew spends Winters in Key West and Summers in Provincetown, offering daily sailing excursions aboard the Schooner Hindu."


*****Update 10/2020

In a trip to the Cape Paul and I found the cottage in Dennis Port that Cheryl and her family stayed at in the summer of 1968 where Paul and I, along with Cheryl's boyfriend Nicky visited.  I brought pictures of the directions that were in my scrapbook and we actually found the cottage.  So fun!



No comments: