Thursday, October 19, 2017

Throwback Thursday - Dot and Ettie's West Springfield High School Yearbook Pictures

A couple of days ago I got a text from Kristen with this picture attached.




To backtrack a little, Marley is on the Robotics Team at West Springfield High School, and Kristen is one of the business mentors for the team.  The faculty advisor for the team, Mr. Bernard, is also in charge of the school's yearbooks. Somehow, Kristen and her friend Joanie (the other business mentor) got talking with Mr. Bernard and they started looking at old yearbooks.  My Aunt Esther graduated from West Springfield High School in 1949.  I had never seen her yearbook. It was so weird to read the write-up about her.  I had never heard her referred to as Penny.  I also never heard of Henry, who she supposedly liked and was usually at home writing to, lol!

I have Dot's yearbook.  She graduated in 1942.  After seeing Esther's picture, I sent Kris a text picture of Dot in her yearbook.  Her yearbook is very interesting, with many references to the war.  Unlike Esther's write up, Dot's sounded just like her.




Coincidentally, Kristen's friend Joanie is married to a guy who graduated from West Springfield High School.  His last name is Welch.  They found Joanie's father-in-law on Esther's yearbook page, and his brother on Dot's page.  Small world!

I find it so interesting to see these little glimpses into my aunts' high school years.

No comments: