Thursday, December 20, 2018

Throwback Thursday - St Nicholas Orthodox Church




I don't like change much.  If you've followed me for any time or know me, this doesn't come as any surprise.  I especially don't like it when buildings are torn down.

This church in West Springfield was in my stomping grounds when I was a kid.  I always thought it was a Jewish synagogue.  I never saw anyone going in or out of it but the physical building intrigued me, maybe because it looked so different from any churches that I knew.

In later years it had been looking slightly neglected and worn down.  This week when we drove by it, to my total surprise, it was not there.  In its place were houses, new houses!  I made Paul turn around just to make sure that I didn't miss it.  Yep, it was gone!

A little investigation on the Internet and I found out that it was a Russian Orthodox Church and it has been gone since 2014!  Maybe it wasn't torn down right away and that was why it was looking so neglected and overgrown.  

The article didn't say why the church was no longer in West Springfield.  Maybe two congregations merged and they chose the better building, or the building where the major part of the congregation was from.  I just found it so sad that such an interesting building was torn down, and in its place two new houses built.  


No comments: