Monday, June 8, 2009

Waiting for and meeting Mason Joseph Radtke

Wow! What a wild couple of days. Sunday we were going to have a cookout at Kristen and Toby's. I had planned on taking what would probably be my last picture of Janelle pregnant since she was due on Monday. Mark called about 3 o'clock that afternoon to say that he wasn't sure if they were coming because Janelle was somewhat uncomfortable. She had been having contractions since about 11 o'clock in the morning. They decided they would give it a try though since they were both hungry. Poor Janelle, even though she was having contractions, she still posed for a picture for me.




After dinner we sat in the living room timing contractions all afternoon and evening.




By about 9 o'clock she was really becoming uncomfortable. The contractions had been about 5 minutes apart since they started but now they were much stronger. She called her nurse midwife who told her to come to the hospital and they would check her out. Kristen and I were so excited and knew we could never just go to bed that night, so we asked if we could come with them to the hospital. I think they were happy to oblige us. It was a long night, but at 9:08 the next morning it was all worth it. We actually heard him crying (quite loudly I might add) outside their room before we knew he was there. Labor, delivery, and recovery are all in one room now. After a little while we (Kristen, me, Stacia and Amy (Janelle's mother and sister arrived at the hospital about 5:00 a.m.) were allowed in the room. What an unbelievable experience, words don't do it justice. I loved him before I even saw him.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Brings back great memories. Yes, words cannot explain. I am still having tears of joy for all of you.

A wonderful welcome for Mason Joseph to the family. Bet Marley is super excited.

Great pics Deb!

Congratulations!

Liz said...

Beautiful pictures!
Thanks for sharing your very special moment with us all....

Anonymous said...

Awsome pictures, Deb. I just LOVE the one of his chubby little legs..lol I can almost feel how "baby soft" they are just looking at them. There is NOTHING like a new born baby. Remember that song...How sweet to hold a new born baby...and feel the joy and pride he gives???

Linda L.

Debbie said...

Lin,
Yes, I remember that song. Wasn't it a Gaither song?

Doreen said...

Debbie I am so happy for all of you. He looks so healthy. How big was he? I like the picture of all the guys relaxed watching TV as she is on the edge of the chair.So priceless. She was a good sport to pose.
I miss sharing these things with you all I am so glad for the blog so I can see.

Debbie said...

He was 6 lb. 10 oz. (exactly the same as Marley (!) and 20 inches. He seems like such a peanut, but very alert.

Yes, true to life, the guys relaxing while the girls time contractions.

Anonymous said...

Deb,

The pics are great. Janelle and Mason look like they worked hard for the birth!
I love the pic of Mark and Mason.
Where's a picture of you and Mason?
Marley looks sooo excited.
Congrats to all!!

Love,
Lyn