Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Big milk bottle



Today I was off from work because I have to work Saturday, and we decided to take a ride to Greenfield. I was looking for something up there and I wanted to take some pictures and play with new camera apps on my iPad. Paul decided to go a different way and all of a sudden...there it was, the big milk bottle.



A little history.... This milk bottle used to be on Rt 5. I remember it years ago when going to Greenfield with my grandfather. In fact, I'm sure I remember a picture of my father sitting on top of this (it is 16 feet tall, I can't imagine how he got up there). Anyhow, in recent years, I realized that this bottle wasn't there anymore. I always wondered if it disintegrated so badly that they just demolished it, or if they moved it somewhere. It was always a mystery.

**Update - Saturday, August 27, 2011

When we got home from our ride last Tuesday, I did some research on the Internet on the big milk bottle and found out that it was made in the late 1920s for the Quonquont Dairy Farm's dairy bar which was located on Rt 5, a few miles from the Quonquont Dairy Farm. They used to sell ice cream out of it (the back of it has a dutch door).



In 1951 it was moved across the street (which is where I was used to seeing it), and then in 1995 it was moved in front of the building which houses the Whately Historical Society. We found out that they still use it once or twice a year to give out ice cream.




So, we took another trip up there today to check out the Quonquont Farm. It is now an orchard that sells apples and peaches; you can pick your own or buy them at their farmstand. The lady working there knew about the big milk bottle. This farm used to be one of three dairy farms in town and they delivered milk all the way from West Springfield to Greenfield. We joked about the fact that the bottle has been moved around a lot. Who knows, maybe some day it will end up at the Quonquont Farm.






No comments: