Thursday, November 2, 2017

Throwback Thursday - Vacation, Misquamicut 1966

My family didn't go on vacations much.  We used to visit my Aunt Ettie and Uncle Bob.  He was a pastor and they moved around a lot, so most of our "vacations" were going to visit them.  I only remember two real vacations.  One was Lake Wyola in Shutesbury, MA, and the other was Misquamicut Beach in Rhode Island.

It was in August 1966; I was almost 16. We rented a cottage on Lawton Street with my Aunt Ettie and my cousins, Lynda, Bobby, and Donny.  I don't remember my Uncle Bob being there.  I'm not sure why.  The cottage was close enough to the beach that we could walk to it.     

Paul and I drove by it a few years ago and it basically looks the same, except that it used to be white. I can't believe we didn't take any pictures of the inside.  



I can remember going to church the first Sunday that we were there.  We found a little church not too far from the beach.  We always went to church, no matter what.

Our days were spent at the beach and then back to the cottage for dinner.  I don't remember my grandmother going to the beach.  She stayed at the cottage.  She was probably glad for a few hours of peace and quiet, lol.  



My cousin Donny was obsessed with my transistor radio.  There was a song that was popular at the time, Wild Thing by The Troggs;  Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you make everything groovy. My Aunt Ettie used to try to sing the song and we would get such a kick out of it.






After dinner we would go back to the beach.  I don't really remember too much about that vacation, except one of Dot's friends from work, Joe Zannoli and his family were there for the week too.  I remember having kind of a crush on one of his sons, Robbie.  Nothing ever came of it but it was kind of fun watching for him.  


Towards the end of the week, the Lockerbys came for a visit.  They were close family friends of ours.  


Left to right - Sonny Lockerby, Nan, Jennie Lockerby, Ettie








Their daughter Maureen was getting married that Saturday.  Her fiancé Don Gould was with them, along with Linda's boyfriend Dale Berkey.  We had a big cookout that night.






I'm so glad Dot took these pictures because I'm sure that is why I remember as much as I do.  Pictures are important!!!

No comments: