Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lake Wyola (and thoughts of our vacation in 1958)




On September 4th Paul and I went kayaking at Lake Wyola. This is the lake where my family went on vacation back in 1958. I wish I could remember more about this vacation but, unfortunately, the only memories I have are the pictures that my aunt Dot took. Earlier this summer Paul and I drove up to the lake to find out where the public put-in for boats was. We went kayaking there for the first time in July. When we got home, I looked at my old pictures to see if any of it looked familiar, which it did not. Unfortunately, none of the pictures were of the cottage or its grounds. There were only pictures of the lake taken from the cottage. Paul said that if we brought the old pictures there, maybe we could at least determine where the cottage might have been by the lay of the land, that is if the old pictures were really taken in front of the cottage. A lot of ifs, but we decided to try (poor Paul, he always gets conned into my hair-brained schemes). Anyhow, it was a beautiful day and we set out with pictures in hand. After a couple of trips around the lake, Paul thought he found where the cottage may have been. We took loads of pictures, and when we got home, tried to compare them. In the end, I still don't remember anything other than what was in the old pictures but somehow I felt better for trying. It just reinforces to me that I need to document things, so that if in the future someone else like me comes along and cares about this stuff, they will have more information than they could possibly want!

The picture on top is Lake Wyola taken this year looking out the same direction as in some of the old pictures below.
















***Update 9/26/2016 - Paul and I went kayaking at Lake Wyola today.  While going around the edge, of the lake, I looked for where I thought our cottage might have been when we stayed there with the Lundstrom's in 1959.  I remembered that it was not right on the water but across the street and there was a way to get down to the water.  Paul said that there must have been a public place for other cottages to swim, not just just walking through somebody's yard.  We found a Lake Wyola Association beach front and it could have been one of a couple of cabins across the street.  I so wish that we had taken a picture of the cabin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I picked you out immediately Deb!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Deb! Brings back very ooold memories... Sorry we didn't take any pictures of the cottage - rather "stupid" wouldn't you say???

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb.....I just loved thosw pictures of Esther and Dot. Wow does that go way back...Awsome!!!

Linda L