Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Post By Paul To Our Kayaking Friends






I recently had to replace my kayak rack because our Voyager three-kayak hanger did not hold up - even for two kayaks. At first the buckles broke which I replaced and then the straps themselves broke.

I think the setup shown in these pictures is simple, elegant, easy to use, and inexpensive. I paid $3.97 apiece for the four brackets - EB (Everbilt) Heavy Duty Arm Hangers SKU 030699012527 at Home Depot. I also had to buy four pressure-treated two by fours to create a flat base because I was mounting the brackets on an uneven surface. The cost of these was about the same as the brackets. These are much easier to take the kayaks on and off of than the hanger. Also, with the hanger, it was almost impossible to take the top kayak down without taking the bottom one down first.

Tip - every time I put the kayaks on the racks, I have a different kayak side on top. This way, hopefully I won't end up with one side of one kayak faded and breaking down from ultraviolet rays.

Thanks Deb for the space.

Paul

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! if I ever own a Kayak I will remember this! Ha Ha

shvt said...

Nice - I have to get some of these - buying our 2nd kayak today.

Solar Attic Fan said...

This reminds me it was a mistake to get rid of my kayaks

sara said...

As a follow up - I came across your post when searching for parts to make a rack like this. I couldn't find the arms at Home Depot's website, but found similar ones on Amazon:
http://bit.ly/bonehw

Maybe this will help someone else...

Anonymous said...

FYI, Home Depot has changed the UPC on these brackets, but they still do carry them. The new UPC is: 030699180424 Also, as of today (6/10/2010) they are priced at $5.24ea.