Saturday, August 8, 2009

220/365 - The tobacco process


Now, I am by no means an advocate of tobacco, but I do enjoy watching the process - from the planting to the drying of the tobacco leaves. I drive by this scene on my way to work (and I have worked at the same place for 12 years), so I see the process a lot. It seems like there is a lot of time from when they plow the fields until the tobacco plants are big, but then one day the fields are full of people and within a week or so the leaves are cut down and hanging in the barns. They gradually turn from green to yellow, and then all of a sudden, the tobacco is gone and the barns are empty, ready to start cycle again.

And, yes, I did have to work today (Saturday) so this picture was taken today!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Yes, it is very interesting. I have always loved watching the process in Southwick. I've always meant to get a picture, but haven't yet.

Cindy said...

This did especially catch my eye coming home from work one day, as there were so many workers in the field. A rare site with all the rain we had all summer. Guess thay had to put in a very productive day as it was about 5 PM and they seemed to be just finishing up.