Thursday, September 17, 2009

Throwback Thursday - York St. Jail

For some reason, I have always been a little intrigued by the York St. Jail on Columbus Ave. in Springfield, MA. There were only two times in my life that I have even had a slight contact with it. The first time was when I was a young teenager, the youth group at my church went Christmas caroling there. I remember being nervous going in there and looking at the cells up above the lobby where we were singing. The other contact was when my friend Cheryl and I first got our driver's licenses, riding by the jail and the men looking out the windows of what looked like a gym of some sort and giving us cat calls as we drove by. We actually drove by quite a few times. What were we thinking?

Anyhow, when I read in the paper that they were going to demolish the jail, I decided to take some pictures of it. Within a very short time, all remnants of it were gone, just a big empty field. I was glad I took these pictures (Feb. 2008).

A bit of history trivia - it was built in 1886 and closed in 1992.





No comments: