Thursday, January 22, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Nan's sister Sadie



In keeping with Nan's family that I talked about last Thursday, this story is about going to visit Nan's sister Sadie.  The year was 1991 and Sadie was in a nursing home in Ulster County, Kingston, NY. She had had a 99th birthday party.  We were not able to make it to the party, but we went to visit her shortly after.





My two aunts - Dot and Esther, me, and my grandmother went to see her.  Sadie's daughter was there with her.  I believe that the last time they saw each other was in 1979.  Sadie was blind at this time and when we got there, my grandmother when up to her, took her hand, and said, "Sadie, it's Lu.  I've come to visit."

It was kind of tense and I thought my grandmother might start to cry.  Sadie hesitated for a moment, and then she said, "Where the hell have you been all these years?"  At that point we all burst out laughing, the tension was broken, and we had a wonderful visit!





Sadie was the oldest of the four girls, and my grandmother was the youngest.  At this point, Sadie was 99 and my grandmother was 90.








I blogged the picture below before, here.  Sadie is the one in the  dark dress, and my grandmother is the baby.  The other two girls were Eldora (left) and Marion (right).  There were also four brothers, and two baby girls who died before their first birthday.





I'm so glad we had the opportunity to visit with Sadie that one last time.  I just don't know why we didn't do it more often!

No comments: