Friday, September 2, 2016

Happy 42nd Birthday Mark!



Back before ultrasounds were done as a regular part of prenatal care and you were able to know the sex of your baby, it was a surprise at birth whether you had a girl or a boy.

Because I had already had a girl, I just thought I would have another girl (talk about naive!).  We had a girl's name picked out, Amy, but we could not agree on a boy's name.  Paul wanted Peter.  Now I like the name Peter, but not with the last name Radtke.  Peter Radtke?  I imagined him standing at the bus stop and being teased by the other kids, "Here comes Peter Rabbit".  No it would not be Peter!  I wanted Mark.  We never did come to an agreement because, after all, we were having another girl!

So, when the doctor said, "It's a boy", I said, "Are you sure?" (must have been the medication, lol).  Before the name discussion could even come up again Paul said, "Do you still want to name him Mark?  You get to choose, you did all the work".  I knew it was probably said in a weak moment, but I went with it, and he was named Mark Edward Radtke.

It was another story with Kristen.  She was 2 yrs and 1 week old, and expected us to bring home a sister, Amy. Someone (probably my mother-in-law) bought her a doll and we called her Amy.  Even so, she called him Amy brudder for quite awhile!

Happy birthday Mark!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

Amy brudder....hysterical!