Sunday, September 18, 2016

Happy 92nd birthday Dot!




This was my Aunt Dot's favorite car, her 1959 Chevy Impala.

It was a convertible and I remember it so well.  I remember when the Mass. Turnpike opened in our area, Dot, my grandmother and I went for a ride on it from West Springfield to Lee.  I was so afraid that the ticket would fly out of the car and we would be in deep trouble.  They both laughed and said I was silly and that the ticket would be safe.

I also remember many times riding to my aunt Esther's house in Salem, NJ.  We would always leave after supper, around 6 pm, and arrive at my aunt's house about midnight.  I remember the first time I went over the George Washington Bridge in Dot's convertible.  It was almost surreal - night time with all of the lights on the bridge, being up so high with the wind whipping at us.  It's something I think I will always remember.  One time my Dad came with us and the wind was so strong that he wore a kerchief on his head while we went over that bridge.

In later years Paul and I bought Dot a car model of her 1959 Chevy.  She still has it in her room at her nursing home.

Happy birthday Dot!

2 comments:

Liz J said...

That picture is worthy of a TV commercial! Absolutely gorgeous!! I always worried about the ticket flying out a window :)

Stacia said...

Great memory....Great car!