Tuesday, February 17, 2009

48/365 - Vegetable cellar door




Kristen and Toby's house was built in 1930. The main part of the house is really well preserved. The cellar, on the other hand, is an old cellar, but I like it. Before I had even seen the cellar, Kristen and Toby told me there were three little rooms in it. One room is a new room. I guess the previous owner was going to make it into a music room. The kids call the other rooms the pink dungeon and the blue dungeon. I am not sure what the blue dungeon originally was, but the pink dungeon (with a blue door), I'm sure, was a root cellar, or vegetable cellar. When I first saw the door of the room, it brought back so many memories of my grandmother's cellar (her house was built in 1900). She had a root cellar with the same kind of door. I can still see it. It had a dirt floor; there were shelves with old canning jars (some still with tomatoes, etc. in them). I guess by the time I came along my grandmother wasn't canning anymore, but hadn't cleaned out the canning jars. There was also old Orange Crush soda in brown glass bottles in that room. As a child, I was fascinated with that room. Well, I feel the same way about the root cellar in Kris and Toby's house. Some previous owner poured a cement floor in 2000 (there are names and handprints in the cement) but the rest of the room is so similar; no canning jars, but so similar. It took me on a trip down memory lane!

No comments: