Thursday, September 20, 2012

Throwback Thursday - Dot and Steph


Dot and Steph have been friends for about 70 years. This picture was taken in 1954; Dot was the Maid of Honor at Steph's wedding. My grandfather gave Steph away as her father was too ill to make the trip from New Jersey (where Steph was from).

Steph has been the one friend that has stuck by Dot during her years with Alzheimer's. She gave Paul and I so much moral support when we were in the middle of finding a place for Dot to live. She was the one who helped me get her to the Atrium on move in day. She faithfully stopped in on Sundays after church to visit Dot until she broke her ankle last February.

Since I knew that Steph could not come to any type of birthday party for Dot, we brought the party to Steph's. We sang Happy Birthday, blew out the candle, ate cake and had a wonderful visit.



They both seemed to enjoy the visit very much. I made a mental note to myself to bring Dot to visit Steph often. There's nothing like an old friend.

Happy birthday Dot!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Ohhhh How nice Deb. REALLY nice pictures. How old were Steph and Dot in the wedding picture? It makes me kind of sad when I look at pictures like this because they look so happy and so young. It's so sad to me to see those times gone and think about what time does to us. S~I~G~H

Debbie said...

Lin, I think they were 30 because if it was 1954, then I was 4 and Dot was 30. I know, it makes me sad too!

Eliza J said...

Deb, that's awesome. I'm left just about speechless.