Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy July 4th!




As many of you know, Paul and I have been doing some genealogy research lately and I had wanted to take a picture of a Revolutionary War veteran's grave today. One person that I came across, on my mother's father's side, was William Higgins II. The problem is...I can't find where he is buried. Some places say Easton, MA., and others say Chesterfield. I am going to have to do some more digging. I did find the information above though.

So...instead, Paul and I went to Malden, MA to check on Capt. John Wayte's gravestone. He was the first one in the Wait (my father's) family to come to America. He came from England in 1638.

He landed in Charlestown, and eventually moved to Malden, MA. He died in 1693 and is buried in the Bell Rock Cemetery. This is his gravestone. It is amazing to me that a gravestone from 1693 is still intact.



This plaque is at the front of the cemetery. It is hard to read in this picture, but it is a list of all the Revolutionary War veterans buried here.



Happy Birthday America!

No comments: