Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bubba Gump and Yale Genton



Today we went for a ride to Vermont to the scrapbook store. After we were on the road Paul said the glare was bad and asked me to get his spare hat from the back seat; he had forgotten his hat. He keeps Bubba Gump in the car for a spare.

When we stopped at the Vermont Visitor Center I took a good look at him in that hat. We might need to put a different hat in the car for a spare.

On the way home we went by where the old Yale Genton was. It is now a Honda dealership (actually we bought our new car there last April). I was thinking about how much I used to like that store. More recently we used to get Paul's dress clothes there, but when I was a young teenager I remember walking there to shop.





This is a picture of me at about 15 or so, my cousin Lynda, and my friend Janie (who lived with her grandmother in the house that Kris, Toby and Marley live in now). Janie and I both had on what they used to call "shells" at the time, bought at Yale Genton. It's funny the things that go through your head - just a little tidbit of information for anyone who is interested.

Another funny thing about Janie.  I'm not sure how old my cousin Lynda was at the time, but she said to Janie, "My mother says you have bug eyes."  I told Ettie what Lynda said and Ettie was horrified.  She asked her why she would tell her that, and Lynda said, "Well, you did say that."  Note to self - be careful what you say in front of your kids, lol.

3 comments:

Eliza J said...

It was in my "after high school years", that my mother and grandmother took me to Yale Genton. I still have a coat from there that was purchased in 1978!!!! For some reason, I just can't part with it. I don't wear it anymore either, as it has animal fur on it. It is a precious memory of a wonderful time. My grandfather loved the store...so sad it has gone by the wayside. They actually "measured" you for a fit! Who does that anymore?

Linda L said...

Such a CUTE picture Deb!!

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Talk about a blast from the past!

I remember this picture well.

We sure were young.

Lyn