Saturday, March 24, 2012

First time kayaking this season!


It was so unseasonably warm this past week that Paul and I decided to go kayaking today. We have never been out this early in the season. The earliest that we have ever been kayaking was April 9th in 2005, and that was only because Paul was going to be having hand surgery at the end of the month and wanted to get in as much kayaking as he could. That year we went to the same lake that we went to today, and at that time the lake was mostly frozen. We could only kayak around the edges.

Not so today. Even though it wasn't as warm as the previous week, the lake was totally unfrozen. Very weird!



We went to Thousand Acre Swamp in New Marlborough. I particularly wanted to check out the little handmade wooden boat that I have been keeping track of there. We started kayaking in 2004 and Thousand Acre Swamp was one of the first places that we kayaked. This is the first time that I saw this little boat.



Somehow it just intrigued me and I have been taking pictures of it every year as it has been breaking up. We never got there last year (would you believe we only kayaked once last year?) and I wanted to see what shape it was in. We had to really search for it. There wasn't much left to it. The water level was low and I could see some of it on the bottom of the lake.







We didn't stay out too long as it was cloudy and pretty cold, but it was sooooo good to be out on the water again!

P.S. More post offices -

Sandisfield, MA


Southfield/New Marlborough, MA

No comments: