Thursday, September 15, 2011

Throwback Thursday - Norwich, CT and Misquamicut Beach


Another ride to see another one of my uncle's churches. This one was in Norwich, CT. He actually pastored there twice. The first time was in the 1950's. At that time the church was in an old farmhouse, which they also lived in.  Ettie told me that while she was up in Massachusetts having one of her children, I think one of the boys, the first house they lived in there, which housed the church, burned down.  

These are pictures of me and my cousin Lynda at the old farm house house.





After we found the church, while we were in the parking lot, I called my aunt Ettie because nothing really looked familiar to me. I remembered a nursery school at the church which wasn't there and I couldn't remember where the parsonage was. She told me that they lived in back of the church.



She reminded me of a funny story. She used to get migraine headaches a lot, and this particular day she was in bed with the shades drawn. My cousin Lynda was bugging me to cut her bangs. I told her that I didn't know how to cut bangs (we were probably early teens). She bugged me so much and went upstairs to ask her mother if I could cut her bangs. Ettie said it was up to her. I finally cut her bangs and they came out horrible, short and crooked. Lynda went up to show her mother, and Ettie said she would just have to live with it. I warned her but she just kept bugging me. I wonder if Lynda remembers that!

My aunt also told me that the nursery school was in the basement of the church. This is the door that lead to the nursery school.



The nursery school playground that I remembered is now more parking lot.



One thing that I remember about the old house from the 1950's was a huge rock hillside in the back yard. That was obviously still there, although it didn't seem quite so huge to me!



I asked my aunt to, someday, write down the dates of all their different pastorates.

It has been fun tracking them down.

It was such a beautiful day that we decided to drive down to Misquamicut Beach.



***More Post offices.....

Willimantic, CT



N. Franklin CT



Norwich, CT


Another fun day!

No comments: