Thursday, September 8, 2011

Throwback Thursday - Ossining, NY and Sing Sing


Last week we took a ride to Ossining, NY. My uncle was the pastor of this church in Ossining sometime in the 1960's.





The family lived there during the 1964/65 World's Fair. Ossining is only about 20-30 miles from Flushing Meadows where the World's Fair was and I remember going there a couple of times with them.

This is a picture of me and my cousin Lynda there - June 1965.



These are pictures of me, my cousins, my aunt Ettie and my grandmother in front of the church.





This is my Uncle Bob, and aunt Ettie.



Anyhow, I have always wanted to go there again just to see the church and the house.

The house is huge, 3 floors.



One year the whole family had Thanksgiving there. They lived on the second floor, and the first floor was a huge almost empty room (as I remember it anyway).



It was fun going back there and seeing what I remembered.

We knew that Sing Sing Prison was in the same town, not that I ever remember going to look at it when they lived there but, then again, Paul and I drive to a lot of weird places, so went looking for it.







It's a very old prison, built in the early 1800's, and sits right on the Hudson River. If you're interested you can read about it here (I can just see Kristen's eyes rolling).

***This is the post office in Ossining (see Aug 30th post).



I love trips like this! Great day.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Yep, kind of rolled my eyes. But hey, I was the one who wanted to see Alcatraz on my honeymoon (Toby wouldn't let me!)