Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ride to Putney, Bellows Falls, and Grafton, VT



Today we took a ride to Vermont. We headed up to Bellows Falls, stopping on the way at Harlow's apple orchard in Putney, VT. I was hoping that they had some Honey Crisps. They are by far my favorite apple. I discovered them here at Harlow's a few years ago. They had them and they were delicious.






Paul reminded me that this was the reason I started my blog, him throwing his apple out my closed window.


After lunch at Fat Franks (one of Paul's favorite hot dog places) and a stop at the scrapbook store in Bellows Falls we headed home on Rt 121 through Saxtons River. That town had so much flooding damage. You can still see where the river rose.

This covered bridge is lucky to be still standing.





So much water damage along this route, roads washed out, trees on the river bank pushed over, homes destroyed. It was just amazing. They have already done at lot of cleanup.

This is just up the road from the Grafton Cheese factory. I saw a video on YouTube about the flooding in Grafton. This is where we have picnics after getting cheese.






This is what it used to look like.





The cheese factory had a raging river right around it. Luckily the covered bridge right next door was alright.

It's just amazing how forceful water can be.


***Some more Post Offices

Feeding Hills, MA


Saxton's River, VT


Townsend, VT

1 comment:

**MIGNONNE** said...

Wow. That damage is terrible. I am so glad the bridge is still standing. I hope they can fully recover.

I loved all your other pictures. It is so gorgeous back there. I think your post office pictures are brilliant! What a great idea.