Thursday, February 9, 2012

Throwback Thursday - Abington, MA

Last week we took a ride to Abington, MA. I have been on a roll going to all of my Uncle Bob's pastorates.

I think they went there in 1965. I have to get dates from either my cousin Lynda or my uncle.  But I found this information out from my aunt Ettie. They started out in a very old house, 124 Bank St. There was a bank on the main street, Washington St., and the house was on a side street behind the bank. The church was behind the house, Centre St., kind of like a square. Later on in their pastorate they move to a different house at 314 Groveland St, same church. After they left and went back to Salem, NJ, the new pastor of the Abington church built a new church (the bank wanted the property of the church and old parsonage) at 422 Summer St. Then he got out of the Assemblies of God denomination and went independent. He eventually sold the building to the Senior Center. There is no Assemblies church in Abington now.

We had fun finding all of this out. Unfortunately, as the old church and parsonage have been torn down, I wasn't able to get a picture of the church or the old parsonage, but we did find the new parsonage. We had the address (my aunt Ettie was one number off which threw us off for awhile) and I had a picture from the last time we were there - Thanksgiving 1972. This is my grandmother and my two aunts on the front steps of the house.



This is the house in 1972.



Today.



Then we went to Hingham to try and visit Paul's aunt Eleanor McInnes (Big Baba's sister). She lives in an assisted living place. We found her apartment but she wasn't home. It was around 4:00 and we found out later that she goes to dinner at that time.

Then we drove to N. Quincy where Paul's grandparents lived. We found the church that they used to go to, took pictures of that, and then drove by the old house.

This picture is at the end of the street that they lived on, Billings St. It comes out to Wollaston Beach. It must have been nice for Big Baba to be able to walk to the end of his street (although it is a pretty long street) and be at the beach!





After that we drove to Natick and had dinner at Kelly's. We took the old road home until Sturbridge and then got on the Mass Pike.

What a fun day. I love days like this, looking for things that we once knew!

Paul says our next adventure can be Flushing Meadow where the 1964/65 World's Fair was that I went to with my aunts and cousin. Can't wait for that.

****Another Post Office - Weymouth, MA

No comments: