Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bickford's



Paul is finally feeling better and tonight he had a hankering for an apple pancake at Bickford's. Bickford's is in a different location now. It used to be on Riverdale St. in West Springfield, but now it is in the old Abdow's Big Boy restaurant in Westfield. We actually go way back with both restaurants. Quite a few years ago now, before Kris and Toby moved to Ohio, we used to meet every Tuesday night at Bickford's on Riverdale St. They had buy one pancake meal, get one free. Sometimes Paul's parents would meet us there too. Mark used to come when he was around (I think he was still in college). We also used to take the kids there when they were young. Paul ALWAYS, ONLY got the big apple. He has never had anything different at Bickford's. (He's weird like that, he has only ever had tacos at Taco Bell)

As far as Abdow's goes, we used to go to the one on Riverdale St. (that is now torn down) when the kids were young, probably elementary age. Sometimes we got the soup and salad bar (it was kind of a new phenomenon then, a salad bar) and sometimes we got a Big Boy hamburger. They also had the best strawberry pie. It was always a treat to go to either place. How weird that Bickford's is now in the Abdow's building in Westfield. Actually, the new Bickford's looks a lot like the old Abdow's. There is a long cushioned seat along one side of the building. I can remember when it was so crowded and people used to sit there until their number was called (tonight there were hardly any people there). A couple of things have changed. They switched the Men's Room and the Women's Room. It seemed funny going into the old Men's Room. Also, the glass cases at the front of the restaurant that used to hold all of the Abdow's pies - cream pies and strawberry pies, just holds some decorations. We hadn't been there in a long time and tonight it brought back a lot of good memories. Just thought I'd share.

Just a little addition, I took these pictures on my way to work this morning. The sun was shining through the clouds and it just looked pretty. I guess taking a picture every day last year is still with me!



6 comments:

Linda L. said...

Awwww if I had known you and Paul were going out we could have met you there. We went out to Cracker Barrel in Windsor. My favorite there is grilled haddock, lightly seasoned, mashed taters, turnip greens, and usually cole slaw. However tonight I switched the cole slaw for fried okra. It was soooo delicious. I seem to get the same meal every time also..lol I just love it so much and we don't go that often. BTW where is the Bickfords in Westfield. I don't think I have seen it yet. I love the apple pancakes at "Hotcakes" in Windsor. I would like to try the ones at Bickfords.

janice said...

I have a recipe for baby apple pancake that I will give you, it is easy to make and just as good
(if not better than Bickfords)
Al and I used to go to the Abdows in West Springfield whnen we were dating and you could still order from your car and they brought it out to you. ( I think we liked to go there because we could make out until our food came.) Ha Ha.
Remember the dressing on the hamburgs?
Tell Linda Al and I went to Crakcer
Barrel for breakfast the other day and hated it. The girts are awful.

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

Wow. Flash back. I remember when Bickford's was across from the Donut Dip and Abdow's was down where Agrimark is, and B'Shara's was a tiny little place with the best fried egg sandwich I ever had.

I used to walk from the Olympia (now Olympia Ice Sports Center) to fetch said sandwiches for my mother. Heck, we used to walk from the rink to the movie theaters - we could even cross Riverdale Road (Street, whatever) on foot and not risk death.

I also remember walking in the center of Springfield when I was about 10 on a quest for a Mountain Dew for the same parent who was at The Shoe Box buying tights and leotards and dance shoes and such (for me, but apparently I wasn't needed) but that's another story.

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

OK...this is bugging me now...what was the name of the theater on the east side of Riverdale Road across from the Showcase Cinemas?
It was white and blue and I thought I wanted to go there more than any other theater (except for the garden in Greenfield) because it was all shiny and blue inside...but I was little, so maybe I am nuts.

Paul (Debbie's husband) said...

I think it was Loews Palace. It was originally just one giant extravagant screen. Later, it joined the operation across the street and became more than one screen (smaller screens).

Paul said...

Melissa's question really got me thinking. Before it was E.M. Loew's Palace, it was E.M. Loew's Drive-in. I had forgotten about the drive-in that was at that property. I did some research, and because of the success of Showcase Cinema's 1-3 across the street, the drive-in was torn down and an even plusher single theater with around 2000 seats was built. Later it was E.M. Loew's 1-2 and still later it became part of Showcase.