Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bernard Wait and Nelson Bessette, my Great-Grandfathers


This is my grandfather Donald's father, Bernard Wait. I am told this picture was taken in Florida. I'm not sure what he was doing down there (or who took that picture and why they wanted to take a picture of him walking down a street) but supposedly he used to stay for periods of time at his childrens' homes (he had six children) after he retired from the railroad. He bought a Morris chair to keep at my grandfather's house and when he was staying there no one else could use that chair.

This is the chair (I think it still has the same cushions - we really need to do something about that someday). I remember this chair. It sat in the hall at my grandmother's house and now we have it in our family room. It is the chair that my father-in-law sits in all the time.


My aunt Dot said that her grandfather Bernard was not a very fun grandfather. She said she liked it better when my grandmother's father visited. She said he was more fun.

This is a picture of Nelson Bessette, my grandmother Lucy's father. He was a farmer from Chateguay, NY.

5 comments:

Linda L said...

Doesn't your Dad's Grandfather look a little like W.C. Fields????

JANICE said...

YOU HAVE SO MANY NOSTALGIC PICTURES TO SCRAP.

Debbie said...

Linda, He would especially if he just had a little rounder face, right?

Debbie said...

Janice, So many pictures and stories, so little time!

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
My name is Tina Besette - my grandad's grandfather was nelson bessette ? My grandfather was Melvin
and his dad was Clarence George Edward Besette. -I'm told that Clarence changed the spelling to have only one "s' My understanding is that Nelson immigrated from Canada ? Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Tina Besette- Martin
tmm4767@comcast.net