Saturday, January 23, 2010

William Ross Harper



This is a picture of my mother's grandfather, William Ross Harper. According to her he was not a very approachable person.

Today I was talking to my dad and we got talking about how when he and my mother were on their honeymoon, they were going to stop in to see my mother's grandfather. I asked him where this grandfather lived. My dad said he lived in Pennsylvania. I asked him where they were going on their honeymoon in Pennsylvania. He couldn't remember. Yikes. How do you not remember where you went on your honeymoon. He did remember that he borrowed his father's car to get there. According to him, they got all the way there, drove up the long driveway to his house and my mother wouldn't go in the house. I guess she really did think he was unapproachable.

My father said that he was a good man though as he took care of my Uncle Ross (my mother's younger brother) who was injured in a shooting accident which left him a quadriplegic. He set up a trust fund for Uncle Ross for life. I guess he was a pretty wealthy man.

I wish I had asked more questions before everyone got too old to remember details. I just never was too interested in things that happened years ago when I was young. That must be what my aunt Dot used to mean when she would say, "You can't put an old head on a young body." (I used to think that was such a dumb statement. Now I think I know what she means.)

2 comments:

Linda L. said...

He was a very sharp looking man. Looked like he liked flowers. His office seemed to be full of them.

Anonymous said...

THAT'S MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER!!! I'm Marion's granddaughter - Marion was Dorothy's sister. How are we related? I know a great deal about our family history and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Wendy (elianalaw@aol...)