Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First day of "retirement" - ride to Vermont


I have decided that each day, for the first year of my "retirement",  I am going to take a picture of something that went on that day.

We were heading into our third day of no electricity/no heat and it was 48 degrees in our house this morning. Luckily it was Paul's day off and around noontime we headed out for a ride to Vermont. It was so good to get warm in the car.

The picture above is at the Vermont Visitor's Center. I can't tell you how nice it was to sit in the sun room there, sip on coffee, and look at our computers (ha!). The sun and the warmth was almost overwhelming. The old saying, you don't appreciate something until you don't have it, is so true.

We took our usual ride through Southern Vermont. They have had their own problems. There is still a lot of evidence of the storm that went through their state.

This picture shows some of the erosion along a little river that runs through Bennington.



They have come a long way since the last time we were there, though.

We stopped at Barnes and Noble on the way home, mostly because I couldn't stand the thought of coming home to a dark, cold house again. What a surprise it was when we got home about 10 pm to find the electricity back on. I was told that it came on about 8 pm. I was so excited; I just can't tell you. I was like a little kid. Still no phone or cable but I didn't care. It was warm in the house.

We were the first in my family to get power. Kris and Toby, Mark and Janelle, and Big Baba are still out. I will probably have a houseful tomorrow, and that's okay!

p.s. I am WAY behind in my blogs. I have about 12 or so to catch up with, but I wanted to start posting my picture a day "retirement" blogs. So....if you have the time, keep checking for older dates as now that I have "more time" I will be catching up.

4 comments:

janice said...

Is this real retirement or just until you get another job? We have been having kids, dogs sleep here. We got electricity yesterday at 11:00 A.M. Uncle had to go and get the girls in Belchertown because they have nothing. We are getting through it all on lots of Chardonay

Eliza J said...

That room looks wonderful ~ wish I had it on my house...with a southern view of course. Wishing you well...kind of feels like vaction, but NOT! Glad you could escape.

Linda L said...

CONGRATULATIONS Deb. So you decided to RETIRE ?????

Doreen said...

Sorry the way your retirement happened but hope you enjoy. I miss stopping there on my way to my Dad's when he lived in Vermont