Saturday, November 27, 2010

331/365 - So much for our relaxing ride....

Today we decided to take a "relaxing" ride across Southern Vermont. We have done this ride many, many times. Paul said he wanted to get out early and be home in the early evening. We left the house around 9:30, went out to breakfast and then headed north. We took back roads all the way. I spotted a few little doors along the way (see this post).

This little door was in Plainfield, MA.





This one was in Charlemont, MA.





And this one was in Whittingham, VT.





Aren't they just so cute?


*****Mignonne, these pictures are for you. When we were going through Whittingham, VT we saw this sign.





We took the rode up the mountain and there was the monument to Brigham Young where I assume his birthplace was. It was freezing up there, and it was here that I noticed a few snowflakes.





This is the view from the monument. It was beautiful up there.



It started to snow around 2:00. At first it wasn't really sticking to the road. We thought it was just flurries.



It got bad pretty fast. We were at a pretty high elevation and it was as if it just fast-froze on the road.





By the time we got here, we were wondering why this truck was stopped in the road. Then we saw that a man was out of his car stopping cars when they got to him. He told us that a tractor trailer was down in the road a little ahead.



We decided to go home another way, but that road was full of hills and before we got too much further a cop had traffic stopped in front of us. He said the road was very icy and cars had been spinning out all over and he wanted us to stay put until the sanders came. That was about 3:00.



We waited for about two hours until the sanders came.



We were on our way again, but not for long. Another wait came up the road, this time for about an hour. Eventually we got to Brattleboro around 8:30. We hadn't eaten since breakfast (except for some animal crackers that I had taken with us in the car). We were starving and shaken. I don't think I have ever been that nervous. At one point we saw two wreckers on the other side of the road. I wondered whether they were just waiting for stuck cars, until I saw a car overturned in a ditch. Yikes, it was awful. We passed by a couple of motels. I wanted to stop but Paul wanted to keep going. When we got to Brattleboro (which is a much lower elevation), there was just a little snow on the grass and none on the roads. We were still two hours from home. We got home at 10:30.

I may never go to Vermont again (or at least not after October!)

2 comments:

**MIGNONNE** said...

Oh my goodness what a nerve wracking experience. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Imagine my surprise to see my name in your post! I had no idea Brigham Young was born in that area. I learned something new today. I appreciate you posting the pictures and for thinking of me. I even called my Paul over to show him! He thought it was very sweet. Thanks again.

Liz said...

I lived in Vermont....I don't want to go back.....hated the weather! (not that Massachusetts is all that much better) Your pictures are beautiful, love the little doors...